As we celebrate World Tourism Day, there’s no better time to reflect on the joys and benefits of travelling. Whether it’s discovering new cultures, savouring exotic cuisines, or simply escaping the routine, travel enriches our lives in countless ways. So, close your eyes for a moment and imagine: where would you go if money was no obstacle? It’s a question that can ignite your wanderlust and inspire great adventures.
Family Vacation Bucket List
This summer my family and I cruised around the Mediterranean. Cruising is a great way to see snippets of lots of different countries in a short period of time. You can get a feel for the place and then research it further to return for longer periods for future holidays. I find that a travel planner such as this one is perfect for keeping track of all your research.
Whilst dining one evening my youngest son told us how much he was enjoying being able to visit so many new countries. This led us to an interesting conversation where we all came up with the top ten places we want to visit and we now have our very own family vacation bucket list. Travelling as a family allows us to bond over shared experiences and create lasting memories together.
This is the Wink family vacation bucket list. We have ticked off Greece and Croatia after our holiday this year but they are both places we want to explore more fully. France is also a place we need to revisit as we have only really been to Paris (briefly) and EuroDisney.
My Favourite Destination To Date: Lake Tahoe
While every destination has its own unique charm, my family and I absolutely adore Lake Tahoe. During our road trip to the USA’s West Coast last year, Lake Tahoe quickly became one of our favourite places visited to date. Lake Tahoe is truly breathtaking. Its crystal clear, cobalt blue water frames by the Sierra Nevada mountains provide almost 360-degree postcard-worthy views.
Unfortunately, we only had two days to enjoy this stunning piece of the world and it was extremely difficult to leave after such a short period, knowing that there was so much more to see. We even spent some time thinking about what part of our road trip we could change just to be able to stay longer in this idyllic location. However, that would have been a logistical nightmare to co-ordinate and we continued with our road trip as originally planned. Thankfully, the next leg after Lake Tahoe was the equally impressive and peaceful Yosemite National Park. We highly recommend visiting both of these places if you want beautiful vistas and true tranquillity. My whole family agrees that we will most certainly be returning to both Lake Tahoe and Yosemite as soon as possible.
Benefits of Travelling
I think that we can all agree that travelling is one of the most enjoyable things we can do. I mean, who doesn’t like exploring this beautiful planet? Travelling offers a wide range of benefits, both physical and mental, and can be an enriching and transformative experience. Here’s a list of some of our key joys and benefits of travelling:
- Broadens Your Perspective: Travel exposes you to different cultures, traditions, and ways of life, helping you gain a broader perspective on the world.
- Enhances Cultural Awareness: You can learn about and appreciate diverse cultures, traditions, and languages fostering a greater understanding and tolerance of others.
- Personal Growth: Travel challenges you to step out of your comfort zone. This leads to personal growth and increased self-confidence.
- Education: Travelling is an educational experience in itself, as you learn about history, geography, and sociology firsthand.
- Improved Problem-Solving Skills: Navigating new environments, languages and situations while travelling can enhance your problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- New Experiences: Travel offers the chance to try new activities, foods, and experiences that you might not have access to at home.
- Stress Reduction: Taking a break from your routine and surroundings can reduce stress levels and improve overall mental well-being. Removing oneself from the monotony of daily life can help provide a fresh perspective and renewed energy upon returning home.
- Appreciation of Home: Travel can also help you appreciate your home, community, and the familiar aspects of your life more deeply. Sometimes we simply cannot see how much we have to be grateful for until we see how people live in other places.
- Physical Health: Travel often involves physical activities like hiking, walking, or swimming, which can contribute to improved physical fitness.
- Enhanced Creativity: Exposure to different cultures and environments can stimulate your creativity and inspire new ideas.
- Memorable Moments: Travel creates lasting memories and experiences that you can cherish for a lifetime.
- Building Relationships: Meeting new people while travelling can lead to new friendships and valuable connections.
- Increased Adaptability: Travelling requires flexibility and adaptability, which can translate into better coping skills in various life situations.
- Boosted Confidence: Successfully navigating unfamiliar places and situations can boost your self-esteem and confidence.
- Culinary Exploration: Is there anything more infuriating than a tourist asking for a McDonalds when there is amazing fresh local produce on offer? One of our favourite parts of travelling is trying local cuisine. We always research every place we are going to and ensure we try the local delicacies. Travelling allows you the opportunity to expand your palate and appreciate new foods.
- Environmental Awareness: Witnessing natural wonders and ecosystems can foster a greater sense of responsibility and awareness for the environment.
- Learning About History: Visiting historical sites and museums can provide insights into the past and its impact on the present.
- Quality Time with Loved Ones: Travelling with family or friends allows for quality bonding time and shared experiences.
- Adventure and Thrills: For those seeking adventure, travelling can provide opportunities for adrenaline-pumping activities like zip-lining, bungee jumping, and more.
- Improved Communication Skills: Travelling often requires effective communication, especially in places with different languages, which can improve your language skills and non-verbal communication.
- Storytelling: Travel provides you with a wealth of stories and experiences to share with others, enriching your conversations and connections.
- Happiness and Well-Being: Overall, travelling can lead to increased happiness and a sense of well-being, as it allows you to break away from routine and experience the beauty and diversity of the world.
Whether you’re a city lover, nature enthusiast, a history buff, or simply seeking relaxation, there’s a travel experience for you. The key is to plan and most importantly enjoy!
Sharing Is Caring:
Related Articles You Might Enjoy:
Whilst looking for photographs for the Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party blog I came…
Those who know me well know how much I absolutely love Disney. Since we had…
A few years back Dani and I travelled to the Christmas markets in Munich. Whilst…
For those of you who are now regular readers of our blog, you will know…
With summer now upon us, many of us are eagerly planning our vacations and getaways. …
In 2007 I went on a girlie trip to Madrid, to watch Beyoncé in concert….