Happy World Nutella Day! With a household of Nutella lovers I cannot allow a day in honouring this delicious spread to go by without some form of celebratory treat. Since World Nutella Day falls on a Monday I got to baking on Sunday. I needed a quick, easy but delicious recipe as we were also making one of our homemade Sunday lunches. I decided to make a Nutella stuffed cookie traybake. Evan woke up to the smell of freshly made cookies. One taste and and immediately banned me from sharing this batch with anyone else!
As an Amazon Associate, we earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Some of the links on this post are affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and make a purchase we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more here.
History of Nutella
After World War II, cocoa was extremely scarce. An Italian pastry chef named Pietro Ferrero sought to overcome this shortage by combining hazelnuts, sugar and a small amount of cocoa This invention took the form of a block in the shape of a loaf of bread evolving into a spreadable form known as “Supercrema” in 1951. Supercrema was the precursor to “Nutella” which was launched in 1964.
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
The traditional spread was a mixture containing approximately 71.5% hazelnut paste and 19.5% chocolate. Nowadays however the hazelnut content is just 13% with the bulk of the ingredients being sugar and palm oil. Sugar and palm oil may not sound all that appealing but this spread is so popular worldwide that factories around the world produce 1.35 million pounds of it every day! And 250,000 tons of Nutella are sold every year!
Versatility of Nutella
Nutella is a firm favourite in millions of homes worldwide, adding a touch of sweetness to a wide variety of dishes. Some prefer to spread Nutella on toast, others drizzle it over pancakes and others use it to make delicious baked treats. Treats like our Nutella stuffed cookie traybake.
Nutella Stuffed Cookie Traybake
115g unsalted butter
135g brown sugar
210g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
100-115g chocolate chips
100g Nutella spread
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Use a Stand Mixer to mix together the butter and sugar.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl and then add to the mixer.
- Add the egg, salt and vanilla extract and mix until the mix comes together into a dough.
- Using a wooden spoon mix in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the cookie dough into two.
- Line a 8 inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Press half of the cookie dough into the pan then spread the Nutella on top.
- Using your hands, break up the remaining cookie dough and spread over the top of the Nutella. Yes, this is messy but believe me it is so worth it!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until nicely golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and cut into slices.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Happy World Nutella Day
We think our Nutella stuffed cookie traybake is the perfect way to pay homage to this much-loved spread. But, whether you choose to spread it on toast, bake with it, or simply enjoy it by the spoonful, we hope you have a sweet World Nutella Day.
Sharing Is Caring:
Related Articles You Might Enjoy:
When thinking about a post for National Chili Day the first thing that came to…
I just absolutely love nachos, don’t you? When my husband and I first got together…
Today is World Pizza Day, a day which might just be one of my son’s…
In our house, we all pretty much have a massive sweet tooth. So often I…
Can you believe its that time of year again? Yes, it’s the day on which…
Since starting the blog I am truly discovering that there truly is a day to…