Arroz con leche is a popular dessert in many Spanish-speaking countries. It is certainly a dish which Gibraltarians love! The dish is essentially a sweet rice pudding that is made with a combination of rice, milk, sugar, and spices. It is a creamy and comforting dessert which that is people of all ages will enjoy.
The origins of arroz con leche can be traced back to mediaeval Spain, where rice was introduced to the country by the Moors. Over time, the dish was introduced to the Americas by Spanish conquistadors. Today, arroz con leche is a staple dessert in many Latin households.
Delicious and Nutritious
In addition to being delicious, arroz con leche is also a nutritious dessert. It is high in calcium, protein, and carbohydrates. Kids love it as an after-school snack or to enjoy as a comforting treat after a long day.
Fully Customizable Recipe
One of the great things about arroz con leche is that you can customise it to suit your taste preferences. For example, you can add raisins or chopped nuts to the mixture for extra flavour and texture. You can also adjust the amount of sugar or spices to make the dessert more or less sweet, depending on your preferences.
- 1 cup Arroz SOS (pudding rice)
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tin Ideal Milk (evaporated milk)
- 75-100g sugar
- Cinnamon stick
- Powdered cinnamon/nutmeg
- Rind of 1 lemon
- Add the milk, cinnamon and lemon to a saucepan and boil for 5-6 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Add the rice and cook at a medium heat for about 40 minutes (until the rice is tender).
- Add the sugar and cook for a few more minutes, stirring to dissolve the same.
- Allow to cool and remove the cinnamon stick and lemon rind.
- Sprinkle with powdered cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg.
This classic dessert which has been enjoyed for centuries in many different cultures is a great choice whatever the occasion.
Let us know if you enjoy the same and be sure to check out some of our other sweet treats such as our delicious Honey and Walnut Loaf.